Many aqueous wastes cannot be treated directly in biological treatment plants because they contain toxic substances which can destroy the plant’s microorganisms, resulting in plant down-time whilst the process is restarted. Besides toxic chemicals impede the use of active sludges in agriculture.
Solar photocatalysis processes oxidize these contaminants, regardless of their toxicity, using solar radiation and a catalyst. The final compounds are harmless to life.
A reaction that mimics metabolic breathing takes place in the photo-reactor: a complex organic molecule is oxidized to a desired state, even until total conversion to CO2 and H2O.
To that end, the catalyst receives solar UV and blue light to accelerate the formation of •OH radicals, known as one of the most oxidizing compound (even more than chlorine).
SOLARCADOX ® oxidizes venoms to biodegradable molecules. These are edible for microorganisms in waste water treatment plants.
SOLARDETOX ® goes even further: it oxidizes venoms to such an extent that the final product does not need further treatment.
- Pesticides and agrochemicals
- Phenol and chlorophenols
- Chlorinated solvents (trichloroethylene, chloroform, dichloromethane, etc.) and otherolychlorinated organic molecules.
- Aromatic and polyaromatic hydrocarbons
- Antibiotic and cytostatics.
… and, essentially, any substance which biodegrades with difficulty, including those which have biocide qualities. These substances diminish the efectiveness of biological treatment plants or even disable them completely and hinder the agriculture use of bio-sludges because of their toxic content.
- Does not transfer contamination to another medium, but eliminates it
- Solar powered
- Easy to run and low maintenance
- Avant-garde technology and design
- Eco-efficient better life cycle analysis than competing technologies
- Fully automated
- Minimum reactant consumption